“Change your thoughts and you change your world.”—Norman Vincent Peale
A week ago, I met up with a friend and accountability partner who reads my blogs. He told me how my blogs make it seem like I am crying and sad. Totally not what I intended and definitely not what I expected to hear, but I appreciated his honest assessment.
When things aren’t going well, it’s easy to start doubting yourself and throw in the towel on your dreams. However, that’s when “the shift” must occur.
A shift is defined as a change in position. Therefore, the shift I refer to is the shift that must occur in our mind. When we see things not functioning, automatically our minds will tell us, “It’s not going to work. You’re a failure.”
That’s exactly what I’ve experienced lately as I’ve pursued my dream, but a reason why I have not quit is because of the shift in my thought process.
The most important person that can speak life into you is YOU. You have the power to dictate how your life will turn out. I know it’s far easier to give up than it is to go on. However, I am here to tell you to go on.
Go on after your dreams.
Go on and better yourself.
Go on and love again.
It’s not easy to think positive. Not when negative people at work surround us. Not when the majority of things we hear are negative. Yet, our success is dependent on how we think and what we speak into our life.
Here are five things you can do today to live more positively and create a shift in your mind that will help you on your journey of success.
1. Observe and listen – Are your thoughts negative? Listen to what you are speaking in your life. If it’s negative. Stop it right there.
2. Smile – Life is not perfect. You will experience difficulties, but even in the midst of them, find something that makes you smile.
3. Exercise – Go for a walk, jog, or lift weights. You don’t have to spend hours in a gym. Do one of these things for thirty minutes to reduce stress and to positively affect your mood.
4. Influences – Are the people in your life adding value to you? Or are they subtracting from you? Surround yourself with people who will encourage you and lift you up when you are down.
5. Speak positively! – Tell yourself you are going to make it. Things may look bad now, but know they will not stay that way. Say a positive phrase everyday. It doesn’t have to be long. It can simply be: I will not quit!
“Two men looked out from prison bars,
One saw the mud, the other saw stars.”—Dale Carnegie
What do you see?
Which one of the five things will you do today? Share with me in the comments below.
About the author: A.C. Cristales
Youth Motivational Speaker, consultant, and future pro on the Senior PGA tour.